Mounting Antenna For Optimal Performance
Achieve the best signal by focusing on antenna placement. Even a few inches can negatively or positively affect signal. The best placement is the one that allows you to receive reliable alerts. Choosing placement outside the safe or inside is an important decision.
- If you have a hole, use it! String the antenna out the back of your safe, or through humidifier holes and unused mounting holes or simply drill a small 5mm hole. Hide the antenna from view.
- No hole? Close the safe door on a braided metal extension cable and string outside the safe. The braided metal cable is strong enough to be closed on for most safes. Hide the antenna somewhere!
- Consider placing the sensor where your safe is stored, monitoring the entire safe area (such as a closet or room) instead of only the safe. Monitor outside the safe for advanced notice in the general vicinity, which is a step ahead and arguably just as good -- or better use.
Place antenna near gap seam, door, hinge -- or anywhere that might have a small gap with your sensor inside.
- Ensure the long antenna piece is parallel to a seam or hinge and "runs along it". This way, the antenna has the best chance to get signal from outside the safe and transmit. It doesn't matter which seam or gap you choose -- just ensure the antenna runs parallel as close as possible to it!
Tips & Final Thoughts
- Always test the sensor in your safe a few times! Generally, if you can receive alerts consistently for a couple tries, it will always work in that position. Antenna position is important and makes a big difference, so test different placements that work for you and your setup.
- 'Weak' signal is perfectly acceptable, as long as you receive consistent alerts within about 20-30 seconds. It was designed for weak signal. If you get weak signal and the alerts are not consistent and longer than 30s, you have a problem and need to adjust the antenna.
- The best placement is the one that allows you to receive consistent alerts, without compromising security.
- The best reliability is to string outside the safe. If you're worried about sabotage, purchase the extension cable which is over 5 feet (1.5 meters) to hide your antenna far away, perhaps under some clothes are behind books etc.
- If someone cuts or sabotages the externally mounted antenna, the sensor auto switches to its internal onboard antenna, even during transmission.
- The included antenna has a magnetic base, use it! Attach in to the inside wall of your safe to get closest to the seam or gap. Attach it to the outside of your safe to hide it on the back or side without the use of tape.
- Sometimes, the magnetic base unscrews from the antenna piece. Twist it to make sure it is tight! If it's loose, your signal could be affected.
Having issues or want the highest performance?
Try the performance antenna we offer to see if that helps with your needs.