- Not receiving alerts
- Not receiving alerts consistently, each time
- Alerts taking longer than 30s-60s to receive
- Can’t download the app
- Can’t subscribe to your sensor
- App was working, now it's not
- Not receiving location data
- Battery not inserting well
- Can't see all my devices in app
Not receiving any alerts?
- Follow the SETUP instructions by downloading the Simtek Sensors app on Android Playstore or the Apple app store.
- Fully charge your battery, it could take a couple hours. Plug in the external antenna.
- Make sure you’re subscribed to your device, by downloading the app and taking scanning the QR code in-app, or entering your device number. If you see a screen that says “No data…” you need to trigger your alert first!
- Remember, you need to ‘arm’ then ‘trigger’ your device to get alerts. To do this, place your sensor in any dark and motionless space (like a dresser drawer). Wait for a second or two, then open the space and trigger the device by either waving in front of the device or having light come through.
- Try moving the device to a new location with better signal to see if you get alerts after arming and triggering. Note: first attempts can take up to a five minutes to scan and find the network. After the first successful alert, each consecutive alert should be 20-30s.
- Did you arm and trigger it properly? Easily check it, by arming and triggering the device and looking at the side LEDs. If you see green+red blinking lights, that means it’s trying to connect to a network and send you your alert.
- Are you properly subscribed to the QR code/macid in the app? Do you have notifications turned on and are able to receive SMS texts? Make sure your phone is turned on, you have service or wifi, and are setup in the Simtek app. Click EDIT in the Simtek App on your device, and make sure the device address matches the numbers under your QR code. Additionally, ensure you see your number in the “subscriber” section of the EDIT screen in the Simtek app and have push notifications turned on.
- Do you have wifi and/or cellular service on your phone?
- Don’t see your problem here? Check out FAQ or SETUP.
Not receiving alerts consistently every time?
- First, perform ‘Not receiving any alerts?’ section.
- Take your sensor out of the area it’s in, and try to get alerts in an area with known good service (example, from the safe to a desk drawer)
- Attach the external antenna and try to arm/trigger your device.
- Is it low on battery? It won’t send if battery is under 3.4v
- Is it moved in a different location or orientation? Signal depends on coverage + antenna position and size. Poor coverage but good antenna position and a large antenna size (external) is fine. Poor for all three can make the alerts take longer, or potentially not come at all. This is and should be rare, but make sure you have the external antenna plugged in, and as close to an opening on your safe as you can. Place it alongside the edge where there’s a gap for best results. You may have to string the antenna outside the safe.
- Did you unsubscribe from alerts or notifications on your Simtek app?
- Did you delete the Simtek app?
- Do you have silent mode turned on your phone? Do you still have the same phone?
- Do you have wifi or cellular signal on your phone? Your phone needs 1) to be subscribed to your device address and 2) needs either wifi or service to receive the alerts.
If you can’t resolve any of these issues on your own, please contact email@example.com and describe your problems by sending us a short video clip and explanation.
Alerts taking longer than 30s-60s to receive?
- Remove and re-insert your battery.
- Insert the external antenna.
- Move the antenna so it’s positioned near a gap, opening, crease, hole, door, etc. Closer to the opening, the better.
- Check your battery level.
- Check your signal level in the app.
- Try moving your Duo to a new location, and triggering it.
- If none of these options work, you can use a different, separate simcard that has data and sms as long as it’s GSM based and take ours out. ***Note, this is highly not recommended as we don’t have any control over the performance or compatibility. It will not ruin your device.
- Additionally, we are working on firmware that will allow the device to recognize this slow performance and switch carriers. Currently, we have firmware that will switch carriers in new areas/countries, and will find a new carrier if it can’t register at all. But increasing performance is the next one we’re working on, so reach out and hang tight.
- Don’t see your problem here? Check out FAQ or SETUP.
Can’t download the app?
- Make sure you have either an Android or iOS device. See the playstore and app store listing for compatibility with your device (Note: no ipads/tablets/tvs at this time).
- Check out SETUP.
Can’t subscribe to your sensor?
- Download the app, then scan the QR code or manually type in the device number (number under the QR code).
- Continue through the flow until you see a success box and you are dumped into the activity screen which should show either “No data…” or your recent activity. If you see the “No data…” language, you will need to arm and trigger your device to get alerts. They will show up here.
- Check out SETUP.
Simtek App was working, now it’s not?
- It could be a temporary server issue. If you see the “No data..trigger your device” message, it’s probably temporary and should resolve on it’s own.
- Pull down to refresh the activity page, or quit the app and restart it.
- Always download the Simtek app updates.
- Uninstall and reinstall the latest version of the app.
- Min. requirements are iOS 10 and above.
Not receiving location data?
This is a known problem that a only few people are experiencing, and is happening because the base station tower your device is trying to triangulate location with is not whitelisted on the server. Basically, it means your device is not broken but some software needs to be updated. For most people this isn't a problem, but in some areas carriers have built new base station towers that we don't have yet in our system.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your device id (under QR code) and we'll help you get this fixed.
Battery not inserting well?
This is a known problem that again only affects a small number of people, but it is due to us changing to a new battery terminal and not finding any problems, then ordering 1,000 to use for all products. Oops. The happy accident is that if you have this problem, you're able to easily remove the battery unlike everyone else. For everyone else, removing the battery is actually very difficult because it's wedged in there deep. The battery door will do it's job and keep your battery securely fastened. If you experience major problems with this, let us know.
Can't see all my devices in the app
Swipe left or right! After you've added your devices, you simply swipe left or right in the app to cycle through them.
Still need help?
Head on over to FAQ or SETUP, as there is likely a simple explanation and solution without waiting on a reply. We're likely building the next-gen version and coding new features for your current version to make things even better.
Email email@example.com for support and Please include the following:
- written explanation or video explanation
- how you tried to resolve the issue